A hearty thank you to everyone for taking action to protect water and voicing your opposition to uranium mining in the Black Hills. It is important that we continue voicing our concerns on this issue. Mni Wiconi – Water Is Life.
Uranium mining was stopped in the Black Hills before. We can do it again!
The current threat is Azarga/Powertech Uranium who needs the EPA’s approval for a Class III and Class V Injection Well Draft Area Permits to drill in the groundwater aquifers in the Southern Black Hills. Approval of these permits would allow them to begin their mining operation in the Dewey-Burdock area. These permits would allow the company to mine uranium in one groundwater aquifer (the Inyan Kara) and to dispose of the wastes using wells drilled into another aquifer (the Minnelusa). The EPA’s public comment period ended on June 19th, however action is still needed. Water is life. Here’s what can you do:
- Know the issue. Know that you can help save our water, our lives.
- See what your neighbors and the media are saying.
- Contact members of your State Legislature. Let them know your concerns.
- Contact your Congressional Representatives and ask them to take action.
- Contact Washington DC: the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s members and the head of the Council on Environmental Quality in the White House.
- Lobby the Legislature via the LRC Website.
- Write letters to the editor of our local newspapers, so the public knows about this issue.
- Talk to your family, coworkers and neighbors.
- Follow us on Facebook!!
- Volunteer your time — every person’s effort counts!
- Further educate yourself – visit our Resource Links page!
- Donate funds to our organization to cover printing and other basic expenses.
- We have almost 200 old uranium mines and prospects in the southern Black Hills. Watch for opportunities to comment on this issue.
- VOICE YOUR CONCERNS DURING GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES PUBLIC COMMENT PERIODS.
If you are interested in volunteering your time or money or other resources to stop uranium mining, please contact Black Hills Clean Water Alliance:
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”- Margaret Mead