ANNOUNCING FALL 2021 INTERNSHIP!
DO YOU LOVE THE BLACK HILLS? DO YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO PROTECT THEM?
COMMUNITY ORGANIZING INTERNSHIP WITH BLACK HILLS CLEAN WATER ALLIANCE
Black Hills Clean Water Alliance (BHCWA) is a twelve-year-old organization that works to protect the Black Hills from radioactive uranium mining, gold mining exploration, disposal of mining wastes into our underground water, and abandoned old uranium mines. We oppose all uranium-related activities and oppose gold activities in the central Black Hills, and we educate the public, participate in legal cases, and take direct action to stop destructive mining.
The person in this Internship will work with experienced organizers to develop new skills and increase existing skills. Activities will include developing strategy and tactics, doing organizing tasks, and completing research. Organizing tasks are likely to include organizing events, writing flyers and press releases, fundraising, and setting up and participating in information tables, parades, and other events.
The Intern will be an independent contractor and must have a phone, a computer, internet service, and reliable transportation to be able to complete Internship activities. The Intern will work with BHCWA to schedule work hours that meet the needs of both the Intern and the organization. The Intern is expected to work about 15 hours per week for 16 weeks, beginning on about August 20, 2021, and to provide monthly written reports on their activities. BHCWA will pay a stipend of $3200 ($800 per month) and provide gas money from Rapid City to other work sites.
The successful Intern must have the following skills and interests:
- A strong interest in protecting the Black Hills
- Good communication skills, including both written and oral communication
- Basic research skills and the ability to determine the accuracy of information
- Ability to relate to a variety of types of people
- Ability to work well independently
The following would be helpful, but are not required:
- Two or more years of college
- Has taken courses related to the Internship (this might include any of the sciences, any of the social sciences, leadership, public administration, and related fields)
- Some knowledge of politics
- More than one year of experience living in western South Dakota or eastern Wyoming
To apply, submit a letter expressing your interest in the Internship, a resume, and the names and contact information for three references to email@example.com no later than August 1. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Put “Internship” in the Subject line.