Solitario Zinc, a Colorado company, has proposed their Golden Crest Exploration Drilling Project, located along the west side of Spearfish Canyon from well south of Cheyenne Crossing to north of Bridal Veil Falls.
This project would disrupt recreation, wildlife, peace and quiet, public safety, and water quality – among other things.
The Northern Hills Ranger District (NHRD) issued a News Release on May 10th announcing the availability of the Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) on the Golden Crest Exploration Drilling Project. They are now seeking public comments.
Comments are due by June 8, 2023 11:59 PM MST
Please take a few minutes to share your concerns with the Forest Service.
Pick two or three topics and explain why they are important to you. Here are some things you might want to say in your comments:
- Why you are interested in this project.
- Why you oppose this project [give your reasons].
- The Forest Service should do a full Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on this project, not just a short Environmental Assessment (EA).
- All potential cumulative impacts of this project should be considered, including the possibility of mining in this area, the fact that Solitario Zinc has proposed a second project just to the south, the impacts of the nearby Wharf Mine, other existing gold drilling in the area, etc.
- Tribal consultation on this project was inadequate, and the Forest Service is required to do full and complete meaningful tribal consultation.
- The Draft EA indicates that a number of plans should be prepared, such as a fire safety plan, a hazardous materials plan, and an erosion control plan. These plans should be part of the EA.
- This project would take place in a special area that feeds directly into Spearfish Canyon, a National Historic Byway.
- Environmental Justice is not considered in the Draft EA.
TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMENT TO THE FOREST SERVICE:
Comments may also be submitted by mail at: USDA Forest Service, ATTN: Steve Kozel, 2014 N. Main St., Spearfish, SD 57783, or drop your comment off at the NHRD office at 2014 N. Main St, Spearfish, SD
For more information about this project or other mining issues happening in the Black Hills please visit our website at bhcleanwateralliance.org
One thought on “Say No to the Golden Crest Project. Public Comment is Needed Now!”
I’m against the Golden Eagle project for the Black Hills people who wish to destroy and mine for Gold or any other mineral here in the Black Hills and SD area